Conference 2013 / Posters / Agenda / Speakers / Sponsors
7:30-8:30 REGISTRATION & BREAKFAST
8:30 - 8:45 Welcome
- Sharon B. Megdal, Director, Water Resources Research Center (WRRC), University of Arizona (UA)
- John Hoffmann, Director, Arizona Water Science Center, United States Geological Survey (USGS)
- Shane Burgess, Dean, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, UA
8:45-9:15 Session 1 Opening Keynote – What is Water Security?
- Anthony Cox, Head of Climate, Biodiversity and Water Division, Environment Directorate, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
9:15 - 10:15 Session 2 From the Ground Up – How Secure Are We?
- Moderator - Leslie Katz, Hydrogeologist, Principal, Montgomery & Associates
- William Alley, Director, Science and Technology, National Groundwater Association
- Peter Mock, President and Principal Scientist, Peter Mock Groundwater Consulting, Inc.
- James Leenhouts, Associate Director and Investigations Section Chief, Arizona Water Science Center, USGS
10:15 - 10:30 BREAK
10:30 - 11:00 Session 3 Climate and Water Security – Colorado River Scenarios
- Carly Jerla, Program Manager for the Colorado River Basin Water Supply and Demand Study, United States Bureau of Reclamation, Lower Colorado Region
11:00 - 12:00 Session 4 Water Security Challenges – What Keeps You Up At Night?
12:15 - 1:45 LUNCH & POSTER SESSION
Speakers Panel - A Look to Our Water Future
- Moderator - Guy Carpenter, Vice President, Carollo Engineers
- Jamie McEvoy, Ph.D. Candidate, School of Geography and Development, UA
- Ross Rayner, Undergraduate, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, UA
- Lisa Snyders, Water and Wastewater Process Engineer, Carollo Engineers
1:45 - 3:00 Session 5 Water Security Policies
- Moderator - Robert Varady, Deputy Director and Research Professor of Environmental Policy,
Udall Center for Studies in Public Policy
- Kathleen Ferris, Executive Director, Arizona Municipal Water Users Association
- Rodney Smith, President, Stratecon, Inc.
- Elma Montaña, Researcher, Human, Social and Environmental Sciences Institute, National Scientific and Technical Research Council, Professor, National University of Cuyo, Argentina
3:00 - 3:30 Session 6 Native American Perspectives
- Katosha Nakai, Tribal Affairs & Policy Development Manager, Central Arizona Project (CAP)
3:30 - 3:45 BREAK
3:45 - 5:00 Session 7 Solutions to Water Security – Are We On The Right Track? Q&A
- Moderator - Sharon B. Megdal, Director, Water Resources Research Center, UA
- Thomas Buschatzke, Assistant Director, Water Planning Division, Arizona Department of Water Resources
- Dennis Rule, Manager, Central Arizona Groundwater Replenishment District, CAP
- Rita Maguire, Attorney, Maguire & Pearce
5:00 - Announcement of Student Poster Award Winners and Closing Comments