Apr 10 10:00AM
Water Policy Forum on Arizona Solutions to Colorado River Supply Challenges
04/10/2015 - 10:00am to 11:00am Arizona Time
Friday, April 10, 2015 / 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
University of Arizona
Center for Creative Photography Auditorium
1030 N. Olive Road, Tucson
On April 10th, Senator Jeff Flake is convening a water policy forum at the University of Arizona to hear about current Colorado River supply challenges and future strategies. The forum will be hosted by the Water Resources Research Center and will cover topics including:
• The status and future predictions of Lake Mead storage.
• The consequences of a Colorado River shortage declaration.
• Arizona projects to store groundwater, including Arizona Water Banking Authority, CAP's Recharge
Program, and Tucson-Phoenix pilot groundwater storage program.
• The relationship between groundwater storage/recovery and a Colorado River shortage declaration.
• Future Arizona efforts to mitigate shortage impacts and develop additional underground storage.
UA President Ann Weaver Hart will provide opening remarks and introduce the Senator. Senator Flake will set the stage for a panel of distinguished experts to discuss Colorado River challenges and Arizona’s use of underground storage to provide for future water supplies. The audience will have a chance to ask questions of the panel.
• Tom Buschatzke - Director, Arizona Department of Water Resources
• Marie Pearthree - Deputy General Manager, Central Arizona Project
• Alan Forrest - Director, Tucson Water
• Sharon Megdal - Director, Water Resources Research Center
Visitor parking: Park Ave. Garage, 1140 N. Park Ave. See map here - http://bit.ly/1Ba7CQC.
Additionally, on April 7th, Senator Flake will convene a forum at Arizona State University, hosted by the Kyl Center for Water Policy at the Morrison Institute for Public Policy, which will focus on forest health, storage reservoirs, and Arizona's future water demands.