Water Policy Advisor
Company/Organization: Arizona Municipal Water Users Association (AMWUA)
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posted: Monday, June 7, 2021
A unique opportunity for an innovative and passionate Water Policy Professional to work on the
major water issues of our time.
The Arizona Municipal Water Users Association (AMWUA) is comprised of ten municipal members
who provide water to over 3.6 million people and to the businesses and industries that are key to
the State’s economy. AMWUA facilitates discussion among our members and collaborates on policy
and solutions for water challenges. AMWUA advocates for our members to ensure responsible
water management continues to support economic prosperity and to safeguard our members’
water supplies for future generations.
Since 1969, AMWUA has helped shape solutions to Arizona's water supply and management issues.
AMWUA routinely collaborates with ADWR, SRP, CAWCD, the Arizona Legislature, and others to
advance sound water policy for Arizona and the Colorado River Basin.
AMWUA is looking to hire a passionate and high-performing water professional for the role of Water
The position assists the AMWUA Executive Director in facilitating, collaborating and advocating on
behalf of the AMWUA members. This position researches, evaluates and formulates policies and
positions on water issues that affect the AMWUA members. The position also works closely with the
water resources advisors of the AMWUA cities and towns and interacts with other Arizona water
entities. Major duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Advises the Executive Director on water resource issues and policies impacting AMWUA members.
- Works with the Executive Director to develop strategy to carry forth AMWUA’s mission.
- Researches and writes fact-based issue summaries, talking points, and detailed analyses.
- Compiles numerical data from various sources for analysis.
- Formulates potential policy solutions, including drafting legislation and developing legislative strategy.
- Acts as a liaison to ADWR, CAWCD, SRP and other regional water resource stakeholders.
- Represents AMWUA on select regional water resource groups and committees.
- Addresses ad hoc questions from member staffs.
- Attends meetings, reports on developing water policy issues, and alerts members of potential impacts.
- Reviews and summarizes water related bills during the legislative session.
- Collaborates on the development of AMWUA communications materials.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess exceptional writing and verbal skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and simply to audiences of different levels of water expertise.
- Be a critical thinker able to make well-reasoned and logical judgments.
- Be organized, detail-oriented, and naturally curious in exploring new ideas and challenges.
- Be intrinsically excited about solving water resources issues and developing sound public policy.
- Work cooperatively with others and build trust among stakeholders.
- Be committed to excellence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Be comfortable interacting in large groups and making public presentations.
- Be a team player willing to help coworkers in a small team atmosphere.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- An advanced degree in water resources, natural resource management, environmental resources, economics, water law, hydrology, or a closely related field AND/OR five years experience or more working on Arizona water management, water resources policy, or Colorado River Basin issues.
- A quantitative background including an understanding of major concepts of economic analysis and their application.
The salary range for this position is $70,000 to $97,000 per year based on experience and
AMWUA offers an attractive benefits package that includes:
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
- Life Insurance
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Retirement through the Arizona State Retirement System
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Flexible work environment
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a cover letter, resume and a writing sample
to Diana Pina at email@example.com. The first review of resumes will be June 25, 2021. Position
remains open until filled.
If you have questions about this position, please contact Warren Tenney at firstname.lastname@example.org.