Water Conservation Specialist
Company/Organization: City of Chandler
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2021
End Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2021
The City of Chandler Public Works & Utilities Department is currently seeking qualified individuals to fill the full-time position of WATER CONSERVATION SPECIALIST. This position is scheduled to work Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm.Classification Summary:
The primary function of an employee in this class is to participate in the development, monitoring, and implementation of the City water conservation program to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations. An employee in this class may be assigned to other duties in the City’s Public Works &Utilities Department. This class may be required to work some evenings and weekends.
Essential Functions (list not exhaustive):
- Provides technical expertise and assistance in the development, monitoring and implementation of the City water conservation program, and incentive programs in accordance with the Arizona Department of Water Resources (ADWR) requirements including working with other City agencies, the public, and water system customers and users;
- Administers the conservation rebate program that includes plan approval and site inspections; processes requests to authorize payments though the City’s Landscape Rebate Program;
- Responds to citizen and water system customer inquiries, complaints, and information requests;
- Investigates high water-use complaints;
- Reviews building/landscape water needs to determine percentage of water and ensure water conservation compliance;
- Represents the City and presents on water conservation issues to the public, user and customer groups, commercial and industrial users, water conservation groups, and educational seminars, and to other interested and affected groups;
- Performs water audits and provides assessments to explain and implement water conservation techniques and objectives for residential, commercial, homeowners association, and reclaimed water users;
- Assists in researching water conservation programs and techniques and prepares recommendations for program objectives and goals;
- Assists in strategizing education programs and implementation of water conservation methods and objectives; distributes program materials and brochures;
- Offers plant and landscaping recommendations for more efficient use of water and irrigations systems;
- Develops and implements overall water use auditing methods;
- Monitors meters of high usage customers and coordinates conservation efforts;
- Reports meters working improperly or not at all;
- Develops and maintains water use reports, conservation, and educational monitoring and performance records and water use information files and databases;
- Assists Water Conservation Coordinator with website maintenance to provide educational information to the public on water conservation programs.
- Associate’s Degree in Natural Resources or Environmental Resources or related field; and
- Two (2) years’ experience in water conservation, water auditing, irrigation scheduling, water operations or any combination thereof; and
- Valid Arizona Driver’s License with acceptable driving record; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources Management, Environmental Sciences, Public Administration, or a related field.
Irrigation Association Certified Auditor Certification.
- The position available is regular full-time and is subject to a six (6) month probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for four (4) months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler will conduct a pre-employment background check and a MVRRS (Motor Vehicle Record Request System) check as a condition of employment. An offer of employment is contingent upon acceptable results.
Applicants for employment and volunteer opportunities should be aware of the City of Chandler’s policies concerning the use of drugs and alcohol. These policies have not been altered by the passage of Proposition 207. The use of recreational marijuana is a violation of the City’s Drug Free Workplace Policy. Certain positions within the City are required to submit to a pre-employment drug test. A positive result for drugs tested under the policy, including recreational marijuana, may be grounds for withdrawal of an offer of employment or volunteer opportunity.
The City of Chandler fingerprints all applicants selected for hire to evaluate the fitness of prospective employees. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation.